Instructions detailing how to integrate Talkative with Salesforce
1. Salesforce Setup
- These instructions assume your Salesforce org is an Enterprise edition with Service Cloud and Lightning Service Console. However, Talkative integration also supports other Lightning-based Salesforce Clouds such as Sales Cloud. If you are using Sales Cloud, please use the equivalent components for these instructions, e.g. "Sales Console app" instead of "Service Console app".
- Your Salesforce org needs to have a My Domain set up. For more information, visit the Salesforce My Domain documentation page.
- To setup this integration, you need to be a System Administrator in your Salesforce Org.
- You will be using the Talkative Engage Salesforce integration from the Service Console app in Salesforce Lightning Experience.
- All of your interactions will be managed through Salesforce console rather than the native Talkative Engage console.
1. Install app
The first step is to install the Talkative Engage Salesforce App.
To get the install link, please login to Talkative, go to Settings > General > Salesforce Integration > Add Salesforce Integration to find the URL link. This is in order to ensure you have the link to the latest version.
2. Add Talkative Engage Settings Tab to Service Console
You'll need to setup a number of items in Salesforce to get your integration working. By Adding the Talkative Engage Settings tab to Service Console, you'll be able to update certain configuration options without having to manually dig through the Setup area.
- In the Setup area, go to the Permission Sets section add your user to the "Talkative Admin" permission set. This will allow you to add the Talkative Engage Settings tab to the Service Console app. Permission sets are explained later in these instructions.
- Navigate to the Service Console app and from the page dropdown menu, Click the "Edit" button.
- In the opened modal, click "Add More Items" and search for an item labelled "Talkative Engage Settings". Enable this item.
3. Setup the Queues
Queues are used in Salesforce to help classify interactions that don't yet have a specific user as an owner (eg. when an interaction is first added to the system and hasn't yet been picked up). You need to make sure these queues are properly setup and configured.
- In the Talkative Engage Settings page, select Queues from the menu.
- If this is the first time you've installed the Talkative Engage Salesforce integration package or the queues aren't properly configured, you'll be presented with a button to automatically setup the queues. Press this button.
4. Update Engage Url
In the Talkative Engage Settings page, select Talkative URL from the menu and confirm the URL is as follows:
This URL may be https://us.engage.app or https://au.engage.app depending on your region.
5. Create a connected app
You need to create a connected app in your Salesforce org. This app will be used by the Talkative Engage platform to deliver information to Salesforce. Detailed instructions on creating a connected app can be found here. You will need to set the following settings when creating the app:
- Check the box "Enable OAuth Settings"
- Set the callback URL to: https://eu.engage.app/salesforce/authenticate
- This URL may be https://us.engage.app/salesforce/authenticate or https://au.engage.app/salesforce/authenticate depending on your region.
- Select the following OAuth scopes:
- Access and manage your data (api)
- Perform requests on your behalf at any time (refresh_token, offline_access)
- Ensure the "Require Secret for Web Server Flow" checkbox is ticked
The resulting window should now display details for the connected app. Take note and copy the Consumer Key and Consumer Secret as they will be used later on in the integration.
6. Assign Talkative components/layouts to Service Console App
The Talkative Engage Salesforce app contains a number of components and layouts that need to be assigned after the app has been installed. This is to make sure none of your existing layouts/tabs are affected by Talkative Engage. Most elements can be assigned through the Lightning App Builder:
Open App Builder
- Go to your org's Setup area
- In the Quick Find search bar, type "app manager". Then select "App Manager" from the sidebar menu
- In the table apps, find "Service Console", click its right-side dropdown button and select "Edit" NOTE: make sure you select "Service Console" instead of "Service"
Add Utility Bar Queue component
This is a component that sits at the bottom of the Service Console window and helps an agent manage incoming chats.
- Select the "Utility Items" menu option.
- On the Utility Items page, click "Add Utility Item.
- Scroll to the bottom of the context modal and select "Talkative Queue".
- In the Properties box, tick "Start automatically".
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
Add Interaction Navigation Item
This is the navigation item that allows an agent to see a list of interactions.
- Select the "Navigation Items" menu option.
- From the Available Items picklist, select "Interactions" and move it across to "Selected Items".
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the page.
Assign Interaction Layout to App
A custom interaction lightning page layout allows an agent to access the Talkative Engage interaction console and view a customer's details during an active interaction.
- In the header bar, select "Pages". From the resulting context modal, select "open page"
- In the opened modal, select "Interaction - Fixed Sidebar" and select "Open"
- In the new page, select "Activation..." in the top-right corner.
- In the opened modal, select the tab "App Default" and then press "Assign as App Default"
- From the list, select "Service Console" and press "Next".
- In the following modal page (Select Form Factor), press "Next" again. Finally, press "Save"
7. Assign User Permissions
Two sets of custom user permissions have been created for the Talkative Engage Salesforce integration:
- Talkative Engage Agent - This has a base set of privileges that allow an agent to use the integration for customer interactions.
- Talkative Engage Admin - This is for System administrators and allows full access to all aspects of the integration
You need to assign the correct permission sets to your users for them to be able to use the Talkative Engage Salesforce integration. More information on assigning permission sets can be found here.
8. Assign Users to Talkative Engage Agents Public Grouop
Additionally, users need to be assigned to the Public Group "Talkative Engage Agents". This group is linked to the queues that help manage incoming interactions. More information on group editing can be found here.
2. Talkative Setup
- You have already completed the integration steps within your Salesforce org outlined in 1. Salesfore Setup
- You have a functioning Salesforce connected app and a Consumer Key and Consumer Secret available from said app
- The Salesforce user who's credentials will be used in the REST connection has the "Talkative Engage Admin" permission set applied to their profile
1. Creating the Salesforce API connection
The bulk of data transfer between Talkative and Salesforce is done through the Salesforce REST API. To connect to the API you need to create and configure and API connection. The first step is to fill in the "Create Connection" form on this page:
You can navigate to this page by Settings -> General
You will need the following:
- Connected app Consumer Key - this can be found by logging into Salesforce and viewing the connected app you created earlier.
- Connected app Consumer Secret - this can be found by logging into Salesforce and viewing the connected app you created earlier.
- My Domain (optional) - if your Salesforce org has My Domain setup, you'll need to provide this subdomain. More instructions can be found in the form.
Once you have finished filling in the form, click "Begin OAuth Flow". This will open a Salesforce login popup window.
2. Salesforce Login and Authorisation
Once you have submitted the initial connection form, a new browser window will open. If you need to login to Salesforce, you will be prompted to do so. Then you will be presented with a screen that states your connected app would like to acces your data. Please confirm it's asking for the following permissions:
- Access your basic information
- Access and manage your data
- Perform requests on your behalf at any time
Click Allow. The popup window should close within a few seconds.
At this point Talktive Engage is finalising the API connection and retrieving the information needed to communicate with Salesforce.
Before you can start using Talkative Engage from within Salesforce, you need to connect each of your Talkative Engage users with their respective Salesforce user. This is a simple process that is outlined in the "User Connections" section of these instructions.
3. User Connections
- You have successfully configured the Salesforce setup and Talkative integration
Under the User Connections heading there should be a table of your Talkative Engage users. Connect them to your Salesforce users by selecting the appropriate Salesforce user from each dropdown and pressing the connect buttton(). To remove a user connection, you can press the corresponding disconnect button ().
Connect chatbot users to Queues
To save you having to use extra Salesforce licences when using a Talkative chatbot, you can utilise a Salesforce Queue to link to your chatbot user instead. To setup a Salesforce Queue:
- In your Salesforce Org, go to the Setup area
- From the sidebar menu, search for and select Queues
- On the subsequent Queues list page, select New
- On the Queue create page, give your queue a label and a name
- In the Support Objects list below, move Interaction into the Selected Objects column
- Press Save. Your new Salesforce Queue should be available to connect to a Talkative chatbot.
Related guides you may find useful: